A fresh birthday cake is always the best option. But sometimes you might need to plan ahead for a birthday party and baking a cake in advance will make it easy for you.
So, a lot of people ask questions regarding this and here I have tried to provide you the answers in simple words.
- Can birthday cake be frozen? Can you freeze unfrosted cake?
- Steps to freeze birthday cakes
- Can I use Aluminium foil or a food-safe plastic bag instead of plastic wrap?
- How long can you freeze birthday cake?
- Can I freeze a fully-decorated birthday cake?
- Steps to freeze a fully decorated birthday cake
- Can you freeze store-bought cake?
- Can you freeze chocolate cake with Ganache icing? or Can a cake with icing be frozen?
- Can a cake taste bad or become inedible if kept frozen for too long?
- Can you freeze cake in Tupperware?
- How to thaw a frozen cake?
- How Long Does It Take A Frozen Cake To Thaw?
- How long is thawed cake good?
- How long do cakes stay fresh?
- Some more tips to freeze wedding or birthday cakes
Can birthday cake be frozen? Can you freeze unfrosted cake?
Yes, a birthday cake can be frozen without compromising with its taste. Some people might argue that freezing a cake will affect the taste and this opinion is right to some extent although you should not forget that most of the bakers and cake shops prepare cake layers in advance, store them in their freezers and then do the frosting only at the end. So, freezing a birthday cake is definitely possible.
Steps to freeze birthday cakes
- I recommend freezing cakes that are not decorated and without any frosting. If you are baking a single layer cake then it’s very easy however if your cake recipe requires multiple layers then you need to bake each layer separately and then leave it for some time (at least 4 hours) to cool down completely.
- Once all the layers of cake are cooled down you can wrap them separately using plastic wrap.
- Now take a large sheet of Aluminium foil and wrap the birthday cake again. Place a note on the cake that mentions the date when the birthday cake was frozen and the date until it is good to consume.
- Now, place the cake in a freezer-safe container and put it in the freezer. If you don’t have a plastic container to store the cake then you can wrap the cake in one more layer of plastic wrap. The reason behind two layers is to prevent the moisture to seep in and keep the birthday cake safe from freezer burn.
Can I use Aluminium foil or a food-safe plastic bag instead of plastic wrap?
Yes, you can use a safe plastic bag to freeze the cake but I would not recommend using Aluminium foil for this purpose. Aluminium foil is made for the purpose of keeping food fresh for a short duration. Using a good quality plastic wrap will keep your cake fresh and edible. If you don’t have plastic wrap them you can also use triple-layer waxed paper for emergencies.
How long can you freeze birthday cake?
You can freeze a cake for up to 3 months. Some frozen cakes could last for 4 to 5 months but I would suggest using them before the end of three months. If you are new to freezing cakes then please freeze the first few cakes for a week or two at most. Once you have practiced enough then you can freeze the cake for long durations as well.
Can I freeze a fully-decorated birthday cake?
Freezing a cake that is already decorated is a little bit difficult than a plain cake without any frosting or icing.
Steps to freeze a fully decorated birthday cake
- First, remove the topmost layer of sugar model or frosting and place that separately in a cardboard box. Keep that cardboard box away from sunlight and avoid keeping the frosting model in an airtight container.
- Now take the remaining cake and wrap it in a sheet of plastic cling wrap and then wrap it again in a sheet of Aluminium foil.
- Now, place that wrapped cake in a freezer-safe plastic container.
Can you freeze store-bought cake?
Yes, you can freeze a store-bought cake but please ask the bakery whether it is fresh or was it already stored in a freezer. If the cake was pre-frozen then I wouldn’t recommend it to store in your fridge for more than 24 hours. Once you defrost the cake its frosting might be messed up a little but you can make it look nice by adding a little bit of icing and decorating it with birthday candles.
Can you freeze chocolate cake with Ganache icing? or Can a cake with icing be frozen?
If you want to freeze a birthday or wedding cake with icing or frosting then it is also simple. Place a layer of frosting all over the cake. Now place the cake in your freezer uncovered. Check the cake after an hour or two if the frosting of the cake is hardened. To check this check the cake with your finger and if the frosting is hard enough to protect the inner layers of cake then we can move to the next step. Now wrap the cake in two or three layers of plastic wrap without leaving any gap for air to enter. Once this is done your iced cake is now safely frozen.
Can a cake taste bad or become inedible if kept frozen for too long?
Yes, if a cake is frozen for too long then it can lose a little bit of its flavor and taste but you can still eat it. However, I would still recommend eating freshly baked cakes or cakes that are frozen for a period of fewer than 3 months.
Can you freeze cake in Tupperware?
Yes, you can freeze a cake in a Tupperware container but place the cake in it only after wrapping it tightly in a sheet of cling plastic wrap and another layer of Aluminium foil.
How to thaw a frozen cake?
Thawing a frozen wedding or birthday cake is a very straightforward process. Here are the steps to thaw your frozen cake:
- Take out the frozen cake container from the freezer and place it in the refrigerator. Shifting the cake from the freezer to the refrigerator will let the cake defrost slowly. You can also let the cake thaw at room temperature but sometimes high-temperature shift can mess up the cake frosting.
- Once the cake completes 8 hours in the refrigerator, place the cake at room temperature for at least 4 to 5 hours at room temperature. Remove the wrappings and Aluminium foil carefully with scissors.
- If your cake was of multiple layers and you froze those layers separately then assemble the cake as per your cake recipe.
- If this was your first time freezing and thawing a cake then place a bit of frosting, fresh fruits, and candles on it to make it look delicious and presentable.
How Long Does It Take A Frozen Cake To Thaw?
It takes at least 8 hours to thaw a cake and never try to reheat a cake to thaw it faster.
How long is thawed cake good?
A thawed is good to eat from three days to one week if stored in a fridge properly.
How long do cakes stay fresh?
A normal cake stays fresh for a maximum of 4 days but if placed in a refrigerator it can last up to 7 days.
Some more tips to freeze wedding or birthday cakes
- Frozen cakes are fine but if you are not a professional baker yourselves then avoid freezing delicate and heavily decorated cakes.
- You can also freeze leftover cake to be eaten when your craving something sweet in the middle of the night.
- Also, if you are buying a cake from a bakery then ask the baker about the ingredients of the cake. The use of different ingredients may impact the need and time period for freezing a cake. For example, some fruit cakes last for a long time even without freezing.
We also have a post that could provide you an answer to the question: How to make a birthday cake at home?